Friday, January 9, 2015

#BookReview : The Monogram Murders by Sophie Hannah

On the jacket:

I’m a dead woman, or I shall be soon…’  Hercule Poirot's quiet supper in a London coffeehouse is interrupted when a young woman confides to him that she is about to be murdered.  She is terrified – but begs Poirot not to find and punish her killer. Once she is dead, she insists, justice will have been done.  Later that night, Poirot learns that three guests at a fashionable London Hotel have been murdered, and a cufflink has been placed in each one’s mouth. Could there be a connection with the frightened woman? While Poirot struggles to put together the bizarre pieces of the puzzle, the murderer prepares another hotel bedroom for a fourth victim...

Review:

I am a big, big fan of Christie and her series of Poirot/Marple novels. Nobody creates a mystery and unravels it the way she used to, in my honest opinion. So, when I saw Hannah's book, a novel featuring Christie's beloved Poirot, approaved by the legacy - I had to read it. the blurb sounded interesting too.

But let me tell you, I was disappointed. Firstly, this is a big, relatively thick book. Christie finished telling her stories in almost about half the number of words. So I should have guessed that the plot in this book will drag a bit. And drag it did.

The mystery wasn't bad, to be honest. When the book began, it was quite captivating. Narrated by a police detective Catchpool, probably the worst detective I have ever read about, Catchpool made me miss Hastings a lot. This case happens when Poirot and Catchpool are staying in the same establishment and one day there are three murders in the same hotel. The very same day, Poirot has a very odd experience with a terrified lady who rushes into the cafe he was present in.

Interesting? Yes it was. But where the story failed was the narration. It was too long and the climax too made-up. Christie remains the queen of crime and I really don't want to sound rude, but no one else should attempt writing Poirot stories.

Rating: **/5

[This was a personal read.]

1 comment:

  1. frankly speaking i have read none of christie's books.. pls suggest me one or two to start with.. :)

    ReplyDelete

#BookReview: The Golden House by Salman Rushdie

On the jacket: When powerful real-estate tycoon Nero Golden immigrates to the States under mysterious circumstances, he and his three...