Sunday, June 15, 2014

#BookReview : Bucket List of a Traveloholic by Sarika Pandit

On the jacket:

While her B - School batch-mates are busy scrambling for top jobs and grades, a restless Sarika dreams of putting on her running shoes and having all the pages of her passport stamped by the age of thirty.  What follows is a frenzied quest of not just collecting stamps but ticking off items off her ever-expanding bucket list, From learning the local language in Spain to an alcohol trail through Greece, from a tryst with Shakespeare and Jane Austen in the United Kingdom to an encounter with the Vampire in Romania, from straddling the border of two countries in the Middle East to a road trip through Morocco to the Sahara, each experience bringing her a little closer to reaching that final destination on her passport.  A journey of falling in love with globetrotting - this one promises to be one of the best roller-coaster reading experiences you will have this year.

Review:

I don't know where to start writing about this book. I would say, brilliant and must read. If you are not convinced, read further. If you are, do yourself a favour and go order it. It's been a while that I have read a book and wanted everyone I know, to read it. Bucket List of a Traveloholic is one such book.

I firmly believe one must, must travel. I myself haven't traveled as much as I would have loved to, but I have a fair bit and my own bucket-list still needs quite a few ticks next to destinations listed. And according to me, the best time to travel is in your 20s, before the entire marriage-responsibilities ho hum grips you.

Pandit, in her debut book, has spoken about her visits to fifteen odd destinations across the world - not just the nice stuff but some scary stuff too. Like getting lost in Spain, because of not knowing the language. Or worse, of being stalked by men while on her trip to Khajuraho. This chapter was scary, more since I am reading this book at a time where, well ... we all know how the times are.

Moving on, in Bucket List of a Traveloholic Pandits recounts her trips to Spain, Egypt, UK, Khajuraho, Florence, Brussels, Greece, Romania, South Africa, Israel, Morocco, Helsinki, The Czech Republic, Slovenia and Croatia. From arranging for leaves, to money, to planning the itinerary, Pandit has written the travelogues in such a manner that you will be tempted to pack up and travel. I was! In fact, I created a new bucket list of places to travel (and re-travel) to, right after I finished reading the book.

I specifically enjoyed reading about UK. Somewhere Pandit's and my own childhoods merged, as did our choices of books. I still don't read HP, but apart from that, every work in her recount of her UK trip, seemed to have come out of my own heart. Why else would one ever visit UK, but for a literary sojourn. This chapter, I am going to keep going back to again and again.

Rating: *****/5

[This review is for Fingerprint Publishers. The opinions are strictly my own and not been written under any obligation.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

#BookReview: The Golden House by Salman Rushdie

On the jacket: When powerful real-estate tycoon Nero Golden immigrates to the States under mysterious circumstances, he and his three...