Saturday, May 24, 2014

#BookReview : Far Beyond The Dead End by Saikat Baksi

On the jacket:

They called it the 'mound of dead'. In other words, Mohenjo-Daro!  
But beneath those layers of ruin, once flourished a town pulsating with life. There lived Koli with her enigmatic charm, Sindhu with an eyeful of dreams, Girad with his raging passion, the decrepit priest prophesying the doom and many others. They loved, hated and chased their fixations in manic rage. A series of mysterious deaths ensued from such frenetic hunt for lust, riches and glory. Yet, the inexorable game of destruction did not cease to play, until they ventured Far Beyond the Dead End only to be discovered under a heap of rubble four thousand years later.

Review:

I am a fan of Indian history, specially about archeological finds. Harappa and Mohenjo-daro had made place in my mind, the first time I read about them, back in school. I was in the third or the fifth, I don't remember. What I do remember is that we had a unit test the day after, the chapter was about Mohenjo-daro, and I contracted Conjunctivitis. While my mother was in a dilemma about sending me to school the next day, I was desperate to go and give the test. Yes, I loved studying about Moheno-daro, so much! And ever since there, fantasies and probable stories of how life and people in that cvilization had been, have always presided over my mind. 
So, when Far Beyond The Dead End arrived, I had to start reading it. Far Beyond The Dead End is about the civilization that lived in Mohenjo-daro. It's like the author has taken a leaf of my mind, and written a story around it. Our protagonist is this girl called Koli, a beautiful, smart, skilled and talented young girl. Her father thinks she should marry Sindhu. But, Girad has his eyes on her and tricks her into marrying him.

Baksi has weaved into this story, his interpretation of how doomsday might have arrived Mohenjo-daro. The pace of the plot is perfect and the characters are interesting. Baksi has done a lot of research while framing the story and it shows in his depiction of the culture, people, infrastructure etc of the place. A little bit of crisper editing could have made the plot more together, and an even better read.

Being a fan, I loved reading a story set in the town that exists no more, today. Definitely, a good read.

Rating: ****/5

[This review is for Srishti Publishers & Distributors. The opinions are strictly my own and not been written under any obligation.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

#BookReview: Turtles All The Way Down

On the jacket: Sixteen-year-old Aza never intended to pursue the mystery of fugitive billionaire Russell Pickett, but there’s a hun...