This is one yummy recipe of Rajma and this is the only way we eat it, guilt free.
Oil free, and no pre-soaking involved. How cool is that!
Ingredients (for 2 people)
Rajma (light brown and not the dark red ones) - 250 gms
Onions - 4 (medium sized)
Tomatoes - 4 (medium sized)
Garlic - 14-15 cloves
Ginger - 10-15 gms depending on how much you like the taste
Salt to taste
slight red chilly powder
1. Make a paste of the tomatoes, onions, garlic, ginger, salt, coriander powder, chilly powder and slight water in the grinder.
2. Wash the rajmas well [DO NOT soak in water like is normally done!].
3. In a pressure cooker, put the rajma along with the paste and a little water to mix.
4. Cook on low flame after covering the lid of the cooker for around 15-20 minutes.
5. Now take the lid off and let the rajma cook, until all the water is dry and the masala starts to stick to the bottom of the cooker.
6. Add 2-3 tspn garam masala and stir for another 2-3 minutes.
7. Add water [depending upon how much gravy you want].
8. Now put the lid on the cooker and cook on low flame for another 15-20 minutes. Then increase the flame, and wait till the cooker gives 3-4 whistles. Turn off the gas and let the rajma simmer inside the cooker on its own for a while.
9. Garnish with lemon juice and coriander leaves.
Best served with steamed rice!