Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Weight cannot wait!


~ Kavya Shankaregowda

"We are blessed with a baby girl, mom and baby are fine.”

“Congratulations! How many kgs does the baby weigh?”

Thus begins a journey.

While we argue that eyes are the first things we notice in a person and some say it’s the smile, I’d say it’s the weight. Trust me; “you’ve lost weight”, “looks like you've put on weight” have become conversation starters these days. It is “weight”!

Till a child is about 7 years old, everyone wants to hug, do googly-woogly-whoosh, go awww and then suddenly, they want the child to lose weight. I was one of those kids.

I was the one who ate all vegetables while younger sister made tantrums. She ate potato chips as sides, every meal, every day. I played outdoors and she dint like playing. She was 8 kgs under weight and I was 10 kgs over weight. I had to wake up by 5:30 am for a jog and she slept till 7 am. I had to eat less and she was over fed. Relatives jokingly said, “Are you eating your sister’s meal too?” and with tears I would include “Give my fat to her please!” in my prayers.

In one of those 8th standard science chapters, they spoke about “metabolism”. That’s when I realized what it was all about. That was also the day I decided, “to hell with morons” and gobbled 3 gulab jamoons.

Fast forward many years of ‘forced’ dieting and ‘pushed-from-bed’ jogging, I was in the you-should-get-married-soon age. In one of that groom hunting mode days, I saw him, in a marriage and dad got him home next day.

The first thing he told me was your smile can brighten anybody’s day. I vowed to smile entire life and he promised to keep me smiling. Ours isn't a love or an arranged marriage, ours is a happy marriage.

While we were busy building nest, making plans, holidaying, uploading pics on Facebook and this close to starting a family, it struck me. PCOS!!!

In a time frame of 2-3 months I was >25 kgs heavier. My doctor ran various tests, scans and wrote 8 prescriptions. The first one being lose weight; it’s not going to be easy with the hormonal lorcha, but lose weight. My confidence dipped. I could not fit in any of my clothes; judgemental people started gossiping that I was pregnant and my smile vanished. That’s exactly when my man held me and said, “Smile please!

He suggested, "Join VLCC”, I knew he dint want me to struggle, but travelling the easy way was not what I believed in. I wanted to sweat it out. We visited a dietician; she told “you will need a year”. What I gained in 2 months, I needed 12 months to lose? That’s horrible math. But one’s body, metabolism and hormones are best friends; most of the times gel together. When they stop getting along, that’s when weird things occur. Dietician put me on a “No-Carb” diet, asked me what is that I truly love, in terms of food?

“Chicken.”

“Quit it.”

I did.

I went for walks twice a day, alone, each day increased pace and distance. I let go all forms of sugar and caffeine. I trusted on papaya and pomegranate, oats and soya milk, green tea and water, along with all forms of vegetables and greens.  

I checked weight everyday, I knew it was wrong, but I did. I rejoiced with 50gms of decrease and shuddered on 500gms increase, In 5 months I was 12 kgs leaner. Then I read about this place, Shantivana (http://www.naturecure.org.in/) and I told him, “Let me spend time alone”.

In my 10 days of solitude stay there, I learnt concepts of naturopathy. Oil massages, mud packs, steam & sauna baths, fresh fruit juices and 7 litres water per day; I was detoxified plus 8kgs lighter. Once back, walking showed no variations and I joined gym. In another 3 months of sweating it out, 7 kgs were shed.

Today it’s 9 months without non-vegetarian food. For a person who ate chicken for breakfast, mutton for lunch and fish for dinner, it was a brave decision. And the counter says I have lost 30.8 kgs. I have shocked everyone, but the best has to be of my dietician. “I haven’t met such crazy girl till date,” she patted my head.

This journey has been an obsessive one; where cheerful me turned into evil. It was he who handled tantrums, assuring good times. Without him, I wouldn't be smiling.

I quote “by doing nothing, nothing happens”, my journey has begun. 
------------------------------------------------

About herself, Kavya says ~ I believe "Good and bad decisions never count in life. It's only the confidence and firmness of those, that counts". I am a pampered daughter, a sensible sister, always giggling wife and an aunt for two little girls, but I am what I am, when I write.
Read her blog here and you can follow her on twitter here


8 comments:

  1. Very inspirational Kavya. Your journey was well written and well executed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kavya,

    I have said this before, I will say it again.. It's no mean feat what you have done. Hats off!! JOB WELL DONE.

    Love,
    B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly inspiring for all those cheerful people who put on weight even if they inhale the daily oxygen. I wish God hadnt created such variation in body types so there wouldnt be any fat/lean!
    Really good post Kavya! Truly inspiring!

    Shaivi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work , I will try to follow this herculun task

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work.... I will try to copy it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work , I will try to follow this herculun task

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent ...I mean for writing this piece! Why bother so much about weight loss? It is okay to be plump. It is also considered a sign of prosperity, it all depends on how you perceive life. BTW, how about a slice of banana cake instead of carrot sticks/ oranges as a mid day snack in office?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent ...I mean for writing this piece! Why bother so much about weight loss? It is okay to be plump. It is also considered a sign of prosperity, it all depends on how you perceive life. BTW, how about a slice of banana cake instead of carrot sticks/ oranges as a mid day snack in office?

    ReplyDelete

#BookReview: Men Without Women by Haruki Murakami

On the jacket: 'I find writing novels a challenge, writing stories a joy. If writing novels is like planting a forest, then writin...