Friday, September 21, 2012

Books I Grew Up With

I happen to be very proud of my romance with books which started as soon as I could read full sentences, at 5. 

I have memories of being younger and unable to read, when both my parents would read out to me, not just at bed time but just for fun too. I learnt to read in my mother tongue Bangla, mostly out of persuasion of my nana-nani, but my gain was, I could read all my mother's childhood books as well! 

From the ages of 5 to about 12, while I literally fed on Enid Blyton's, Carolyne Keene's and Franklin W Dixon, mother also ensured I had a good dosage of classic literature as well. While Blyton, Keene and Dixon, gave my imagination the benefit of situations, the classics too me to different eras, introduced me to different life styles, people, behaviour, and a whole new avenue for my mind to wander in!

Some of my favourite classics which I had first read when I was under 10, and still do would be A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, Count of Monte Cristo, Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, David Copperfield, Hunchback of NotreDam, Jane Eyre, Gone With The Wind, Pride And Prejudice, Little Women, Treasure Island and Wuthering Heights.

Since I have been reviewing recent reads, I thought, why not review my all time favourite classics! Keep a watch for #BIGUW!

No comments:

Post a Comment

#BookReview: An Awfully BIG Adventure by Aniesha Brahma

On the jacket: Seventeen-year-old Yoshita Ray has stopped believing in happily ever after and fairy tales ever since her mother aba...