Thursday, July 12, 2012

Book Review: Losing my virginity and other dumb ideas by Madhuri Banerjee


On the jacket:

Kaveri, the protagonist of the novel, is a 29-year-old, who is soon turning 30. She is a single woman who is in search of her true love that has eluded her this far. She is an interpreter by profession and has mastered seven languages. She has read many books on men and how to land a date, yet she struggles to find a perfect partner. Her friend Aditi, who is quite experienced in terms of love and relationships, offers to help her by arranging dates for Kaveri.

After a slew of unsuccessful dates, she does finally end up in a relationship, which is kind of ephemeral with the man, but true and eternal with her own self. The plot of the novel progressively moves from Kaveri being a lonely 30-year-old single woman, who is going through the roller coaster ride of a romantic relationship, to her discovering her own individuality.


Review:

Anyone who knows me well, knows I am not a fan of the new age Indian authors who have mushroomed recently. So, I tread carefully. It's not that I don't read them, I do, but rarely do I come across someone who knows how to write. My last such read was by another woman author, who published her first book.

I'd heard a lot about Madhuri Banerjee's "Losing my virginity and other dumb ideas", but was skeptical. I finally ordered it, started reading it thinking it would be another regular book, but I actually ended up finishing reading it.

My main problem with the recently published Indian authors is not them, but the way their books are edited. Or not. Yes, the publication house does it, but the author also lets the errors pass. So, the editor in me, blames the author.

"Losing my virginity and other dumb ideas" is another chiclit, another story about heartbreaks and a single woman surviving in big bad Bombay ... but seriously, there was as much innovation put in the events, as could be possible.

People who had referred the book, had identifed with it. I did not, personally. It reminded me of a good friend and I asked her to read it too. Not that the events are in anyway similar to the her life, but it's a book you would keep referring to your girlfriends.

Awesome writing skill, (but then, going by Madhuri's professional record, I wouldn't have expected any less!) the flow of words had me glued to it. Some people told me there was nothing new in the story. Maybe. And, maybe there is. Read it, you won't regret it! Don't expect a classic, but you surely won't be dumped with a trash novel either. Madhuri writes well, and I am seriously expecting a lot of even better books from her.

Paperback, 244 pages
Published April 25th 2012 by Penguin Global (first published April 24th 2012)
ISBN 0143415123 (ISBN13: 9780143415121)

No comments:

Post a Comment

#BookReview: Men Without Women by Haruki Murakami

On the jacket: 'I find writing novels a challenge, writing stories a joy. If writing novels is like planting a forest, then writin...